Saturday, January 29, 2022

Why Sleep is Good for You

When I was in college I would frequently study right before bed, and again first thing in the morning. I have never been a night owl, but I would keep my books by my bedside, and if I was struggling with writer's block, or having a hard time on an essay I would frequently jot notes before bed. It was not uncommon for me to awaken with the sun, and with the solution to a problem, or an opener for the essay fresh on my brain. We didn’t know it then, but now researchers know that the brain does in fact continue to work on problems while we sleep.

One researcher referred to deep sleep as a form of informational alchemy. Without realizing it our brains continue to operate while we dream as they organize and reorganize information. Put in most simple terms - our bodies may be asleep but our brains are hard at work. 

Our brains also work differently in REM and non-REM stages of sleep. There is evidence that in nonREM sleep our individual memories are strengthened. This is really important for learning and retention of information. On the other hand, it is in the deep non-REM sleep that information or memories are processed and blended together with novelty. It is after this type of sleep that we find those elusive ideas or solutions upon waking. And it is during this REM sleep when we find our brain devoid of noradrenaline, a stress inducing molecule. Our minds are able to process events, situations, ideas and thoughts and do so without stress. 


Children and Sleep

A good night's sleep isn't just important for parents. A 2005 study published in the BMJ found that three-year-olds sleeping just 10.5 hours or less have a 45 per cent increased risk of being obese by age seven than those who get 12 hours of sleep a night. Additionally, work by Dr. Basile reports that toddlers who get more sleep shower higher levels of performance on executive function assessments. He writes “memory consolidation occurs during sleep and sleep contributes to children's learning not only in retaining information but also in organizing memories most efficiently”. 

With children, sleep problems are associated with behavioral problems. My own family would tell you that sleep problems in our home are definitely associated with parental behavior problems too! It is hard to be patient when you are sleep deprived!  


Naps

What about naps you say? Or can’t we just catch up on the weekend? Researcher are finding that that strategy doesn't work, although napping can have benefits. For children, naps are awesome. Napping is associated improved memory and learning in infants. Naps after learning, increased the memory and executive functioning in young children as well (report here)


Once we have moved out of the regular napping stage of life, we shouldn't need them during the day. Getting adequate sleep at night is key. That said, I will admit that I do love for a good power nap. If you are a napper, keep them short. Napping under 30 minutes is associated with improved cognition, but naps over 30 minutes daily is associated with Alzheimer's disease.


​​Sleep enables us to reset the health of not only our body but our brain as well, and the single best thing we can do to help restore our mind and body for the days ahead. It is essential to aim for six or more hours of consecutive sleep as consistently getting less than six hours is associated with certain forms of cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, being overweight or suffering from obesity. Disruptions to sleep can effect our immune response as well as our inflammatory response (citation).


Sleep appears to be a favorite topic on the blog, so read along for more on children's sleep, how we have managed sleepless nights, living with imperfection, night terrors and toddler sleep solutions. Good night and God Bless!


Thanks for stopping by!


Bedtime Shema Prayer

Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the universe, who brings sleep to my eyes, slumber to my eyelids. May it be Your will, Lord my God and God of my ancestors, that I lie down in peace and that I arise in peace. Let my sleep be undisturbed by troubling thoughts, bad dreams, and wicked schemes. May I have a night of tranquil slumber. May I awaken to the light of a new day, that my eyes may behold the splendor of Your light. Praised are You, Lord whose glory gives light to the entire world (for more on this beautiful Jewish prayer click here).


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...