Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Food Staples: What should I keep on hand?



Do you feel like old Mother Hubbard? 

Is your cupboard bare?  Forget the dog bones, can you feed your hungry kids?

A friend mentioned that she didn't keep staples on hand.  It made it hard for her to cook, but really she didn't even know what she should have on hand.  So I put this list together for her instead of blogging today.  And then I realized - hey - I could post that on my blog. It isn't inline with what I usually talk about, but maybe someone else out there may want it.  And it is free to post something, so it doesn't cost me ANYTHING to share it with you too!

The idea behind the staples list, is that when you have these items on hand, it makes cooking so much easier.  Most of these items don’t go bad so you can slowly accumulate this stuff and just put it away in your pantry.   I try to keep these things always on hand. Then, when I plan my meals for the week, I just have to buy the meats and veggies. Looking at this entire list, you really could eat quite a few meals based on this list.  I am thinking omelets, cheese crisps, bean and rice, pancakes, french toast… The list could go on.  If I forgot anything leave me a comment and let me know what I left off and I will add that on too.

Pantry Staples:
Baking Soda
Baking Powder
Flour
White Sugar
Brown Sugar
Honey
Chocolate chips
Oats
Vanilla extract
Peanut butter
Jelly
Jello
Rice
Dried Beans
Cereals
Italian Salad Dressing
Balsamic & White Vinegars
Apple Cider &/or Red wine Vinegars
Wine/Alcohol (for cooking or for the cook)
Olive oil
Coconut Oil


Seasonings:  Pepper, Garlic powder, Salt, Chili powder, Cumin, Cinnamon, Basil, Bay leaves, Oregano, Cream of tartar, celery salt, dry mustard

Perishable Staples:
Bread
Eggs
Bananas
Milk
Nuts
Yogurt
Cheese
Tortillas
Garlic
Minced Garlic


Extra staples if you want to get fancy:
Coco powder (unsweetened)
Raisins
Pasta and sauce
Tortilla Chips
Salsa
Mac n Cheese




Canned foods:  Stewed Tomatoes,  Corn,  Green beans, Black or refried beans, Chili, Soups, Chicken Stock



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...