Saturday, November 1, 2014

Why do Catholics pray to saints?

In honor of All Saints Day, I thought I would do a quick post on one of the most mis-understood practices of the Catholic faith.  I am not a theologian, but as a convert, this was one of the hurdles that I thought I was going to have to "pray through" on my way to conversion.

http://www.sttheresechurchaurora.org

In reality, it was just a mis-understanding and I didn't have to change my mind about anything.

Have you ever asked someone to pray for you?  It is pretty common place even among luke-warm christians.  My Facebook feed usually contains a post from someone requesting a prayer or two.  St. Paul, in his letters often asked for the prayers of others (i.e. Ephesians 6).

Asking the Saints to pray for us is just the same.  We recognize these holy men and women as individuals who have received the privilege of being with the Father in heaven and we ask that they take our special intentions to His throne.

Catholics don't believe that saints have any power except that given to them by God.  Just like the apostles were able to work miracles in the name of Christ, the saints too are each associated with certain miracles.  They were made holy by God and now are able to pray for us in our time of need.

So study the saints, look at their lives as models of how to live, or models of God's redeeming grace (for many of them didn't live perfect lives!).   If you have a special cause of worry look for a patron saint of that cause and cast up your prayers to our Lord and His special Saint.   Let His saints pray for you!  For more on the scriptural background for our relationships with the saints click here.

All you holy men and women, Pray for us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...